Latest Scandinavian Maritime News

WISTA associations in Scandinavia and Asia start to collaborate

The Women’s International Shipping and Trading Association (WISTA) has announced that several national WISTA associations have come together in an initiative to support seafarers. WISTA Norway and WISTA Singapore are some of the national departments of WISTA in the initiative. The WISTA associations will grant free WISTA membership for seafarers through 31 August 2020, reports…

Nordic gas supplier secured contract with Singaporean AET tankers

Nordic gas supplier Gasum has secured a contract to bunker LNG as a fuel for two new dual-fuel powered crude shuttle tankers when they enter service in 2020 under a long-term charter to Equinor. The two 123,100-dwt shuttle tankers Eagle Blane and Eagle Balder are chartered by Equinor and owned by AET Sea Shuttle AS,…

Wärtsilä launched new LNG bunkering and supply system

Wärtsilä has announced that it is launching its new LNG Bunkering & Supply System simulator at the Global LNG Bunkering Summit 2020 conference, which will be held in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, from 28 to 30 January. Wärtsilä says, the simulator has already been installed at maritime academies and consulting facilities in Malaysia, Italy and Finland.…

Indonesia to buy Danish ships to strengthen coastal guard patrol

Defense Minister Prabowo Subianto will purchase more warships built in Denmark, possible similar to the Iver Huitfeldt size frigates, which Indonesia bought from Denmark last year. The warships will reportedly be used to guard Indonesia’s outermost waters, including around the Natuna Islands, Indonesian Goverment announced on 17 January 2020. The Natuna sea is currently the…

Danish Unifeeder buys majority share from Singaporean Feedertech

The Danish carrier service, Unifeeder has expanded its global reach and closed the gap on market leader X-Press with its acquisition of a majority stake in Singapore-based feeder and shortsea operator Feedertech Group. Unifeeder will buy a 77% stake in Feedertech, with the Singapore registered company’s chairman, Ali Maghami, retaining the remaining 23%. Unifeeder said…

Indonesia’s transport minister met with Sweden’s infrastructure minister

On 26th November 2019, Indonesian transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi met with Sweden’s Infrastructure Minister, Thomas Eneroth, for a spot of lobbying following a bilateral talk. “Support from Sweden would also strengthen cooperation between the two countries,” Mr. Budi said in a statement on 27th November. Indonesia and Sweden signed a letter of intent for…

Malaysia announced ban on discharge wash water from open-loop scrubber

Malaysia has joined the major bunkering hubs of neighbouring Singapore and UAE’s Fujairah in effecting a ban on discharge of wash water from the open-loop style of exhaust gas cleaning systems, more commonly known as scrubbers A shipping notice – MSN 07/2019 – hosted on the website of Malaysia’s department of maritime affairs, Jabatan Laut…

Norwegian offshore service company announced their closure

Swire Pacific Offshore (SPO), a Norwegian offshore service company, has announced that by February 2020 it will be closing its wholly owned subsea services subsidiary, Swire Seabed AS as a result of the effects of the prolonged industry downturn. After that, the operation will be relocated to its Singapore office. The inspection, maintenance and repair…