Lundin Starts Drilling Malaysian Offshore Well

Lundin Petroleum has “spudded” an appraisal well offshore Malaysia. In oil drilling “spudding” means the very start of drilling on a new well. The new well is at the PM307 production sharing contract area in the Bertram field.
Lundin will drill the Bertram well to a total depth of 1888 metres using the Offshore Courageous jack-up rig. The well aims to appraise and test the Oligocene lower coastal plain sandstones.
Lundin Petroleum is a Swedish independent exploration and production company with assets primarily located in Europe and South East Asia. Its shares are listed in New York, Stockholm and Toronto.
The Bertam field was discovered 16 years ago by the Bertam 1 well, which discovered oil in the K10 sandstone reservoir and flowed 34 degree API oil at a rate of 624 barrels of oil per day on a short-term production test.
Bertam 2 – located northeast of the original well in 76 metres water depth – aims to test the continuity and quality of the K10 oil reservoir and also explore the potential of deeper sands in an independent closure on the northern side of the structure, Lundin said in a statement on Thursday.
The company’s Malaysian arm operates PM 307 on a 75% equity interest with partner Petronas Carigali holding the remaining 25%.
The spudding, Lundin’s last of the year in Malaysia, comes two weeks after the company struck oil at the PM308A area.

About Gregers Møller

Editor-in-Chief • ScandAsia Publishing Co., Ltd. • Bangkok, Thailand

View all posts by Gregers Møller

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *