During his official visit to China, Swedish Minister Eskil Erlandsson for Rural Affairs on Jan. 23 met with China’s Minister of Agricultural Han Changfu in Beijing. The two sides exchanged views on boosting China-Sweden agricultural cooperation.
Minister Han noted that China and Sweden are at different stages of agricultural development, highly complementary in agriculture, and enjoy great potentials for further cooperation. Hence, it is in the interests of both sides to intensify agricultural cooperation.
During the meeting, the Chinese Minister put forward the following suggestions for future cooperation:
1. Establish highly-efficient cooperation mechanisms. The first Agricultural Working Group (AWG) Meeting will be convened this year to work out a practical work plan for agricultural cooperation.
2. Establish China-Sweden Center on Oats Research and Development. The Center will be a platform for integrated efforts in production, research and training to promote oats research and industry development.
3. Exchange crop germplasm. The two countries shall work together for the development of new varieties, and further improve the R&D level of crop breeding for both sides.
4. Deepen dairy cooperation. China and Sweden shall jointly conduct research in key technologies in dairy farming and breeding, as well as related equipments and machines. Moreover, both sides will exchange visits on raw and fresh milk testing, and jointly conduct training programs on dairy farmers.
5. Encourage cooperation in agricultural eco-environment conservation between research institutes from both sides.
Erlandsson fully agreed with Minister Han. He also expressed his willingness to promote all-round agricultural cooperation for joint development, particularly in animal health and welfare, and antibiotic resistance.
At the end of the meeting, the two Ministers unveiled the plaque of the Sino-Swedish Joint Laboratory for Agricultural and Environmental Technology.