Swedish tourist’s death sparks drinks alert in Indonesia

Swedish national Johan Lundin, 28, died when he drank a cocktail laced with methanol while on holiday with his fiance Micahaela Pechac, 29, in Indonesia. Ms Pechac is warning Territorians about the dangers.

Swedish national Johan Lundin (right), 28, died when he drank a cocktail laced with methanol while on holiday with his fiance Micahaela Pechac, 29, in Indonesia. 

Bag-packers have been warned about the danger of drinking cocktails while on holiday in Indonesia after a tourist died.

Swede Johan Lundin, 28, was poisoned by a mojito laced with methanol. His fiancee, Michaela Pechac, watched in horror as he died.

“In the middle of the night everything came to an end,” she said, “I was running around the streets trying to find any help I could get but no one could be found.”

“No one wants to see someone you love die in front of your eyes.

“We were getting married next year and had our whole future in front of us and now it’s all gone.

“When you’re on vacation you don’t think something bad can happen. But the truth is you are more vulnerable on holiday than when you’re back at home.

Mr Lundin died in June, 30 hours after drinking cocktails at a bar – recommended by the Lonely Planet – on Gili Trawangan island near Bali.

Ms Pechac, 29, said her fiance’s autopsy report showed he had died of methanol poisoning.

She said it was impossible for tourists to know whether bartenders were using imported spirits or homemade moonshine to make the cocktails.

Ms Pechac last month started a Facebook page called, “A drink to die from”.

She contacted the NT News to warn Territorians – who often visit Asia on holidays – about the risk of drinking mystery cocktails.

“If we save at least one life, then I am happy because I don’t want anyone to experience what Johan and I did,” she said.

 

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *