Among the Nordic countries, so far only Finland has made the list of its missing citizens public. With a good result (see below).
As for the other countries, the official Thailand has published lists of probaly less than accurate nature than what the Scandinavian authorities could have provided – but they are so far the only publicly available lists.
In addition, other Thai websites have lists with other names than listed on the official Thai lists, which does not make the picture more clear.
If you wish to check whether you know of any on the lists, please follow the example below. It is done for missing Danish people, but you may simply substitute the word “denmark” and danish” with e.g. “sweden” and “swedish”.
Should you find anyone listed who is no longer missing, please report your finding to you national police authority in your respective country!
A search on the word Denmark on one of the official Thai website for missing persons registration, http://www.missingpersons.or.th, gives a list of 19 missing Danes, with some entered twice. Another search on the word Danish brings up additional 7 missing Danes. Each person has his or her own page with further information, where you may click if you know this person is no longer missing (but you should still report it to your own police!). The two lists are available on :
Another official website has the same names plus one more Dane listed as missing. In addition, several Danes are listed with their condition N/A (not available). To check that list, click:
On a third website 13 Danes are listed as missing. There is no duplication of these missing persons with the missing persons listed on the two website above. To see the names on this list:
Several web boards have detailed information of missing Danes. One is established by the Thai newspaper Pujadgarn. Here ten Danes are found with their photos; To check this one with seven Danes listed with their photos, click:
A repeat with the word Danish instead of Denmark gives three more names with photos.
Finnish Police was on Saturday able to publish a revised list of missing persons in Thailand after the first list was published on Friday.
Following the publication, several names had been removed, while others had been added as a result of public reaction to the list.
Friday afternoon 194 individuals were listed as unaccounted for and further four names were added later. On Saturday, the list was again revised, with 193 names remaining.
The National Bureau of Investigation naturally welcomed the news of names being removed on Friday and Saturday from the original list, as it was also a vindication of the controversial decision to make them public.
Some relatives had raised objections on privacy grounds, but the move was defended by the argument that any and every recourse that might locate survivors or identify the bodies of victims should be employed.
The list has also been posted on the web portals of major print media and on Text-TV services of the principal television channels, as well as on the government’s own website. According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, all the lists will be taken down as and when search & rescue operations are formally halted.
The NBI have further stressed that even this updated list is not necessarily a final version, and adjustments will be made as necessary in the future.
Thirteen Finnish citizens have thus far been officially confirmed as dead by Thai authorities, along with one Finnish woman in Sri Lanka.
It would obviously help reduce the number of people on lists if the list was made public, the Norwegian police said yesterday at the pressconference in Oslo. But the police had decided not to disclose the list as it could give an unnecessary shock to relatives of people on the list if they later turn out not to be missing anyway.
The Swedish government at a press briefing today said that as the Swedish police had called up the first 300 on the missing persons list it showed that actually 165 persons had already returned to Sweden or otherwise turned out to be alive.
“It doesn’t indicate what the end result will be but it does show how important it is for anybody who has reported a person missing also informs us, when the person is found,” cabinet secretary Hans Dahlgren said.
“As for the death figure of 58 Swedes in Thailand this figure still stands. But we are also quality controlling that list,” Hans Dahlgren said.
The meeting took place at 15.45 Swedish time. The meeting informed of the efforts of the identification personnel working especially in the Khao Lak area. It was expected that the ID work would last the better part of the new year.
In Phuket there were 66 hospitalised Swedes. In Bangkok there were 100 hospitalised. But a plane leaving Saturday night from Bangkok would bring that figure down to 50 Swedes remaining in hospitals in Bangkok.
Foreign Minister Jan Petersen of Norway said at a pressconference in Oslo today at 15.45 (Norwegian time), that only two Norwegians are left in hospitals in Phuket and a total of 2450 Norwegians have returned home.
The lost and missing figures were unchanged from yesterday.
Minister of Justice Odd Einar Dorum. said he hoped the figures would be less on Monday as a result of the current identification and reseach efforts in Thailand and in Norway. He repeated the appeal to Norwegians in Norway to report any news of missing persons.
As of this morning in Denmark, the Danish police reported that the list of missing persons in Thailand was shrinking. The number is now 407 which is twelve less than yesterday.
The list is updated twice every day and the latest found victim was not yet added to the list.
The police also use the passport control for people returning to Denmark to strike people of the missing list if they have not yet informed the autohorities or rellatives in Denmark that they were alive and well,
The Scandinavian embassies held this morning at 10 o’clock a comprehensive meeting in an effort to coordinate their efforts. Apart from staff from the respecitive foreign ministries, the meeting comprised of representatives from the travel agencies, the insurance agencies, the police rescue teams, the teams from the Nordic churches and the health care teams.
Yesterday, almost all Danish patients except a handful were flown out of Phuket and the handful of patienst left are not in serious conditions.
A coordinated search of all 67 hospitals in the affected part of Southern Thailand and the 127 hosptals in Bangkok was among the issues discussed.
This morning, the first and still the only Danish victim of the disaster was recorded. Mr.Jakob Nissen was washed ashore on Phuket in a severely decomposed condition. According to hospital staff at Vachira Phuket hospital, Mr. Nissen had, however, his key from Koh Lanta Villa room 3/2 on him, which was used to establish his identity.
The other Danish victims have so far been recorded under ‘others’ or unknown’ in the official Thai databases over injured and dead.