No more driving license for Swedes in Asia

Swedes living in Asia ought to pay attention: Under a bill before the Riksdag, new rules will come into force that will affect people who are permanently resident abroad and who wish to renew their Swedish driving licence.

If you have a Swedish driving licence and live abroad, you can use your Swedish licence for as long as it is valid. Beyond this date, the licence must be renewed. If you are permanently resident in a country within the EEA, you can exchange your driving licence for a licence issued by the competent authorities in the country of your residency. The proposed rule changes mean that if you are permanent resident in a country outside the EEA, you can no longer renew your Swedish driving licence; instead the driving licence rules of the country where you are a permanent resident will apply.

The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

The new rules will apply as of 1 May 2017. Until then the current rules apply.

To renew your Swedish driving licence, you must submit a complete application in good time so that the Swedish Transport Agency has time to process your application before the new rules enter into force.
Source: Sweden’s Foreign Ministry

About Joakim Persson

Freelance business and lifestyle photojournalist

View all posts by Joakim Persson